[wplug] Linux Certifications

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Fri Jun 14 17:19:07 EDT 2013

On 06/14/2013 4:29 PM, Christian Groover wrote:
> I see that it's about creating live linux usb.  I'd like to get my linux
> certification in everything from basic certs to advanced server
> architecture.  How do I start?
If you're interested in certifications, you might start here:

http://www.lpi.org/linux-certifications

If you want to sit for LPI certification exams, they usually have exam
sessions on-site at a discounted rate at Ohio Linuxfest:

http://www.ohiolinux.org/certs

(Note:  that page is not yet updated for the 2013 conference, which will
be taking place in September.)

One thing you should think about, though, is - what is your goal in
obtaining certification?  For instance, I'm not really sure how much
weight employers place on these certifications at this time - at least
in the Linux realm, my impression is that experience is more highly
valued than certification.  Doesn't have to be experience from
employment, could be through participation in open source projects, etc.

I'm not saying don't do it, of course - I'm just saying, think about
your goal, how certification might help you get there, and set your own
expectations accordingly.  That will help you decide if you really want
to get certified at all, and if so, which certification to pursue.

--Pat.