[wplug] Social media project

Justin Smith justin at js-wordsmith.com
Wed Jul 31 20:20:07 EDT 2013

By now, I think everyone on this list is aware that I’m a staunch supporter
of online privacy. Some of you also know that I’m switching careers to work
as a Linux sysadmin. Well, I’ve found myself in a situation that may allow me
to combine those two :)

I’ve been talking on Reddit about how frustrating it is not being able to
convince people to leave proprietary social networks like Facebook, even
when presented with evidence of how they abuse people's trust.

Apparently, I’m not alone. At least one other person is out there and
wants to do something about it.

We haven’t made any plans just yet, but I’m interested in exploring the
possibility of running a “pod” in a decentralized, open source social
network like Diaspora. If you want people to leave Facebook, you’ve got to
give them an alternative, right? Diaspora has name recognition - compared
to other projects, anyway - and it allows users to cross-post to existing
social media networks, which helps ease the transition.

I don’t expect to change the world with this. It may not even go anywhere if
I’m mistaken about the time or costs involved. Even so, I think it’s an idea
worth exploring. If this is something you’d be interested in, send me an
email and I’ll include you in our discussions.

--
*Justin S. Smith*
Vice chair/secretary, WPLUG Board of Directors

/"Isn't it ironic that the proprietary software developers call us
communists? We are the ones who have provided for a free market, where
they allow only monopoly."/
-Richard Stallman

--------
[1] http://www.wplug.org