[wplug] google phone query

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Tue Jul 23 00:56:55 EDT 2013

This is sort of dated, but the comments about T-Mobile's Monthly 4G prepaid service are still valid:

http://m.blogs.computerworld.com/smartphones/21333/google-nexus-4-carrier-options

You should be able to use any GSM carrier, as long as you can get a micro SIM from them.

As far as T-Mobile goes (it's the carrier I know anything about), you can order a SIM online, or get it from someplace like Best Buy or a T-Mobile storefront location.  If you buy in person from T-Mobile, at one of their stores, they will probably put the SIM in for you and help you activate while you're there in the store.  They will probably also try to talk you into getting one of the more expensive post-paid service plans; don't let them...  :-)  If you use the phone more for data and text, and don't actually use it for voice conversations very much, it's really hard to argue with the $30/month Monthly 4G prepaid plan (100 voice minutes, unlimited data, unlimited text).

As for the phone itself, I don't have one (I'm more an HTC person), but have heard good stuff about them.  The biggest thing that is annoying about phones like the Nexus 4 (and even the HTC One S that I use most of the time) is that you only get an on-screen keyboard, and that takes some time to get used to.  I'm actually typing this on my old HTC myTouch Slide (with a physical keyboard), and it's no problem - but I don't think I would consider sending an e-mail this long from my HTC One S, because of the on-screen keyboard.

--Pat.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide