[wplug] Help deciding a RAID+LVM+LUKS setup

Alheid, Gregory alheidgj at upmc.edu
Mon Jul 22 13:04:08 EDT 2013

Justin,

With a 2TB drive already, I would go one of two ways with LVM using RAID 1.

I  Get a second 2TB drive and 4TB drive;
    1 If the 2TB drive you have is not under LVM,
      A Add  4TB to system, setup as a 4TB LV under LVM but do not MAX out
         and copy present 2 TB to it, after verifying data
      B Move old 2TB to LVM in same VG,
      C Add new 2TB drive in same VG,
      D Setup mirror (RAID 1) of the two 2TB drives to 4TB LV,
         the two 2TBs free space may be less or more than on the 4GB LV
         but once mirrored can be increased to the smaller of the two.
      E Extend ext 3/4 file-system to size of LVs
        (You can move to the below configuration if you get a 2nd 4TB drive later)

II Get a second 2TB drive and two other drives of same size (two 2TBs, 3TB or 4TBs);
    1 If the 2TB drive you have is not under LVM,
      A Add new 2TB to system, setup as a 2TB LV under LVM
         and copy present 2TB to it, after verifying data
      B Move old 2TB to LVM in same VG,
      C Setup mirror (RAID 1) of the two 2TB LVs
      D Add 2nd pair of new drives to same VG
      E Extend LVs of the original LVs to new LVs.
      F Extend ext 3/4 file-system to size of LVs

Greg