[wplug] Public Relations + CRW update

Justin at js-wordsmith.com Justin at js-wordsmith.com
Tue Jan 22 14:40:00 EST 2013

For those of you who weren't aware, WPLUG's vice chair is also chair of the
Public Relations Committee, which, as its name suggests, is responsible for
attracting new members. This year, I'd like to raise awareness of WPLUG and
its activities in places where Linux enthusiasts are likely to be.

Where did you get started with Linux? Was it at a particular place? For me,
it was college. One of my hallmates was always talking about Ubuntu, and I
eventually got so sick of it that I broke down and agreed to try it out. I
thought it would be a good idea to contact colleges in the area, like CMU
and Pitt, to see if they'd allow us to post promotional material, or even
if any faculty members would be interested in working with us.

But then I realized that we don't have any promotional material at all!
Sure, we've got a Web site, but you can't hang that on a bulletin board.
Are there any designers among us who'd be willing to lend me a hand in
designing a simple promotional poster with tear-off tabs at the bottom?
Something like this:
http://www.kindovermatter.com/2012/02/free-printable-tear-off-poster-love-is.html

(Although obviously a lot less fruity.)

If you've got ideas for other places I should get in touch with, please let
me know.

Before I get going, I've also got a quick update from the Commission to
Reform WPLUG. We've created a general user survey to help us understand
what you, the WPLUG base, want changed, and it should be released as soon
as our members have given their final approval.

After it's released, please take it, even if you're not a member. We've got
a lot of exciting ideas for 2013, but unless you tell us what you want, we
won't know how to proceed. It's quick (10 minutes or less), your results
are completely anonymous, and it even uses an open source platform (Lime
Survey).

Justin Smith
WPLUG vice chair/secretary
http://www.js-wordsmith.com