[wplug] Cheap linux server - hardware suggestions

Bryon Gill bgtrio at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 12:42:09 EST 2013

Let me just say that if you're looking to build an inexpensive server I've found tigerdirect.com's barebones kits to be a much better deal than anything I could find at any other vendor.

Here's a link to their barebones kit page:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=31&name=Barebone-Kits&cm_sp=Masthead-_-Computer%20Parts-_-Spot%2002

The only annoying thing is that a lot of their best deals involve nitpicky rebates that pay you in Amex debit cards that, ironically, you can't use to buy basically anything online. That said, you can usually find a fine server machine for around $300 like this one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7624895&CatId=31

Or you can spend a little more for better brands/parts/ram/etc.

Bryon

=====
What is wrong is that we have invented the technology to eliminate scarcity, but we are deliberately throwing it away
to benefit those who profit from scarcity.
-John Gilmore
http://cryptome.org/jg-wwwcp.htm