[wplug] Cheap linux server - hardware suggestions

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Fri Jan 11 02:26:33 EST 2013

I think those two options would probably be too lightweight,
particularly for use as a LAMP server, and even more particularly for
rendering.

But still, you can find some fairly low-cost PC's if you shop around,
that would fit within the budget of $200 to $400.  If it were me, I
would lean more towards something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220162R

$337.99, with free shipping.

Based on the stated uses, I don't think there's too much "special" about
the hardware requirements, pretty much any modern desktop PC would work
well.

This machine comes with Windows; it's hard to get away from that if
you're buying a pre-built machine.  Which is sort of a shame if you
intend to just erase the pre-installed OS and install Linux. You could
avoid Windows if you built something yourself, but when all is said and
done, it probably won't cost that much less, and it's a lot more of a
hassle (speaking from recent experience, having built the computer that
I'm sending this from components...).

--Pat.