[wplug] Best programming language for beginner?

David Brown dmbrown512 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 18:35:03 EST 2013

I've been a beginner programmer all my life, in various environments.  I
was able to teach myself elementary Python through a combination of
tutorial websites, documentation websites, and an old book I found at
Half-Price Books.  Also, there are tons of free packages and libraries
to build on.  I found a package that reads an iTunes library into a
bunch of lists, read it and learned from it, modified it, added a main
program with a lot of other stuff, and in a few weeks I had a suite of
programs to help manage my iTunes library that I still use regularly.
It reads my library.xml file and creates various maintenance playlists
and shell scripts.  Emacs has M-x python-shell that launches a python
interpreter in a terminal window - extremely useful for testing code
fragments or idioms.

dmb
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS + Python 2.7.3