[wplug] Best programming language for beginner?

terry mcintyre terrymcintyre at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 19:04:56 EST 2013

If you are just getting started out, Python allows you to do a lot with a few lines of code.

It is an actual working language - many people use it In Real Life, myself included.

I've heard Ruby has similar virtues; it's a matter of taste.

Java is used heavily, but it takes a lot more work to get things done. I don't know enough to speak for its virtues, but some people evidently like it. Nonetheless, it is not a good "first language", IMHO.

C++ is also used heavily in the commercial world, but is too complex for a first language; too much to absorb at once.

I like David Pryke's recommendations.

As for knowing how hash tables work, etc -- if that interests you, you want to study the design of compilers, algorithms, and so forth. I love bottom-up studies, but would not suggest that as the first approach to learning about computer languages and programming.

Terry McIntyre <terrymcintyre at yahoo.com>

Unix/Linux Systems Administration
Taking time to do it right saves having to do it twice.