[wplug] A word to the wise - upgrading to Fedora 20....

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Fri Dec 20 11:51:33 EST 2013

Because I don't do it all the time, I always seem to lose track of the
tool that's used to upgrade from one release of Fedora to another.  I
still have "preupgrade" stuck in my head - I always thought it worked
just fine, but "preupgrade" went a way when Fedora changed to using the
new installer (that replaced Anaconda).

So, for reference for all of you who care, the tool that does something
roughly equivalent now is called "fedup".  It is not installed by
default, so you may have to manually do "yum install fedup" to get it.
It works mostly the same way as "preupgrade" used to work, though I must
say it's not quite as nice.

The reason I mention this is because, like I said, I always forget how
to do this because I don't do it very often.  And there is another
package available in the Fedora 19 repo called "fedora-upgrade" that
seems like a reasonable name for an upgrader, and if you install it and
run it, it will basically tell you, "OK, gonna upgrade your system to
Fedora 20 now", and it will appear to be doing it.  But then in the end,
you probably find that you end up with a system that has a corrupted RPM
database, or package group database.

Fortunately, I found this out after doing experiments on a test virtual
machine, 'cause I know better than to try to upgrade to a new OS version
on a machine I care about, without trying it on a test machine first.  ;-)

So, yeah - if you're upgrading to Fedora 20 and you want to do an
"in-place upgrade" - use "fedup", not "fedora-upgrade"....

That's all I've got, for now....

--Pat.