[wplug] Litecoin discussion

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Wed Dec 4 11:23:07 EST 2013

WPLUG discovered a new source of income last year: using the idle
processing power on our WPLUG.org server to mine Litecoin, which is a
fork of Bitcoin. We basically just set the mining program in place and
forgot about it.

It was pretty hard for us to ignore Litecoin during the past week,
though. During Thanksgiving week, the price of one Litecoin rose from
~$6 to just over $40. This is the same sort of initial growth that
Bitcoin went through, and it's entirely possible that Litecoin may
further increase in value once it becomes more popular. Therefore, we'd
like to be prepared if that happens.

Not everyone in WPLUG understands Bitcoin and Litecoin. Some people
don't understand it at all. That's why we'd like to put together a list
of guidelines about what cryptocurrency is and how to use it so that
future boards will know what to do.

If you're familiar with Bitcoin or Litecoin, I invite you to participate
in our discussion on the Commission to Reform WPLUG's wiki page [1].
(CRW is an informal discussion group.) If not, you might want to follow
what we're saying anyway - you might just learn something. I've already
put up noob-friendly descriptions of Bitcoin and Litecoin that ought to
answer basic questions.

You already use open source software, so why not use an open source
currency?
--

JUSTIN SMITH

Chairman, Western PA Linux Users Group Board of Directors

"Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work
done."
-Linus Torvalds

Links:
------