[wplug] New FOSS Gmail alternative - now funded!

Justin Smith justin at js-wordsmith.com
Tue Aug 20 11:38:38 EDT 2013

Not too long ago, I sent out an announcement about Mailpile, an open
source webmail program made to compete with the likes of Gmail and
Outlook.com in terms of features and elegance. Well, as of today, it's been
fully funded!

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mailpile-taking-e-mail-back/x/4051643[1]

Thanks so much to everyone who contributed to the campaign. I'll bet
you're as excited as I am. If you haven't donated yet, there's still time to
help! Some of the stretch goals are XMPP instant messaging,
sending/receiving email over Tor, accessing your Mailpile over Tor, and an
Android email app.

Compare that to Gmail. Google disabled access to the decentralized XMPP
instant messaging network so it could push Hangouts, a proprietary
alternative. Tor isn't supported because Google is more interested in
harvesting your personal information rather than keeping it private. Both
the Gmail web interface and Android app are proprietary.

Once Mailpile is stable enough for everyday use, I, your friendly email
afficionado, will give a presentation on how to roll your own email server
and access it with Mailpile. It doesn't have to be difficult! Mailpile will be
able to import your existing messages from proprietary providers.

If you'd like to learn more, the official site is mailpile.is[2].

--
*Justin S. Smith*
Vice chair/secretary, WPLUG Board of Directors

/"Isn't it ironic that the proprietary software developers call us
communists? We are the ones who have provided for a free market, where
they allow only monopoly."/
-Richard Stallman

--------
[1] http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mailpile-taking-e-mail-back/x/4051643