[wplug] Online file storage services

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Fri Oct 5 23:12:15 EDT 2012

Hello folks-

This is a bit of a lazyweb request, but I'm trying to locate an
online storage service for a particular use and don't have
familiarity with the various options.

The use case is for me to upload large (1-2 GB) files containing
raw audio from the Ohio LinuxFest, make them available for
download by people who I might not know ahead of time, and for
those individuals (after contacting me and getting credentials) to
upload the edited versions (100-200 MB each).

Searching has turned up the following on my radar screen: Ubuntu
One, Dropbox, SugarSync, SpiderOak, Wuala, JungleDisk, Memopal,
and Adrive, but I have not fully investigated them all yet.

Characteristics I'm looking for are:
1. About 80GB total storage
2. Ability to handle large (up to 2 GB) files
3. Needed for short-term (< 3 months) use only
4. Accessible from Linux, Mac, and Windows machines (ideally
   without having to install special client software)
5. Ability to share files for download without prearrangement
6. Ability for others to upload files (individually controllable
   by me)
7. Ability to set permissions on a per-file or per-directory basis
8. Run by people who are not seriously evil (Amazon's one-click
   patent falls under my definition of "serious evil" - services
   based on proprietary software are evil, but not necessarily
   seriously so)

Other than restricting who can upload files, I do not need any
sort of confidentiality of files or encryption of file contents.

My budget is in the two-digit range for the whole project.  Please
let me know your experiences and recommendations.  The most common
applicable complaint seems to be difficulty uploading large files,
so comments on that are particularly welcome.  Thanks!