[wplug] Linux on new PCs

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Jul 20 13:12:06 EDT 2012

On , Mike Sussman said:
> Thanks, Jonathan and Pat, for the information.  The message I am getting
> is to buy a Windows 7 PC because it won't have secure boot.  A Linux
> dual-boot installation should be no problem.
>
> After looking at the referenced articles, it seems that Windows 8 PCs
> might be a problem because they have secure boot.

I think to start, most vendors will provide the ability to disable
Secure Boot, even if it says it supports Windows 8, because they don't
want to alientate users who still prefer Windows 7.  As 8 catches on
(who knows, it might be the next Vista or ME), I'm sure vendors will
"forget" to make turning off Secure Boot possible.