[wplug] Linux on new PCs

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Jul 19 20:54:39 EDT 2012

On Jul 19, 2012, at 8:35 PM, Mike Sussman wrote:

> Last year there were a number of news articles about a new security plan
> for PC BIOSs.  I believe this is UEFI secure booting, and that Windows 8
> requires it.  Only OSs that can supply some cryptographically secure key
> will boot.  The articles suggested that OSs such as Linux could not be
> installed on such a computer.  I have not seen recent follow-up
> articles.
>
> I am about to purchase a new laptop.  It is my custom to immediately
> install Linux on my laptops (dual boot) and I am worried that I will run
> into trouble trying to do so.
>
> Will I be able to install Linux on a new computer?  Will I have to
> specify something special about UEFI when I order the computer, or will
> I be restricted to computers with Linux pre-installed?
>
> I would appreciate information or pointers to information.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Uefi#Secure_Boot
This has a summary and links to articles about this subject.

Right now, I don't know of any platforms that currently have Secure Boot turned on.  I know that MS was only going to force secure boot on their ARM platforms intended to run Windows 8.  I'm sure other ARM platforms will continue to be open, this is just the Windows 8 ARM devices.

For what it's worth, Red Hat bought a key for Red Hat and Fedora systems:
http://www.redhat.com/about/news/archive/2012/6/uefi-secure-boot

Other distros will be able to buy signing keys as well.

My largest concern will be that BIOS vendors will make it extra difficult (or impossible) to boot into Linux unless they pay for a key, giving MS a leg up on the competition.  UEFI alone isn't a horrible idea, it's just this Secure Boot stuff.  The whole topic reeks of anti-competitivneness.