[wplug] Port Forwarding in Verizon Router

Greg Simkins gregsimkins at me.com
Fri Jan 6 20:32:02 EST 2012

Hi Mike,

The discrepancy from your experience is probably due to some poor description of the problem on my part.

I also get the same impression that Resolve Now button doesn't resolve anything.  My IP addresses seem to be stable, whether dynamically or statically set (including the erroneous reference to the external IPs).

The router didn't seem to pick up the host names very readily.  It seemed to assign some generic name like "new-host-3:" or "ubuntu" or just the IP address.  Even though I have host files and the ubuntu server knows its name is "greg-poweredge-sc1420", the network diagram just identifies it as 192.168.1.55. I can't identify all of the hosts.  I should dig in and identify each one, but I suppose some are just "features" of the modem.  I don't think I have an invasion on the network.

I may never understand what happened.  I have never seen this behavior before (picking up IP addresses outside the network).  Unless my configuration falls apart again, I guess I don't care deeply, but if you have some further insight, I am all ears.

For SSH and Nx on my ubuntu server, I am forwarding ports 22, 2222 and 5000~5200

For iMac screen sharing, I am forwarding ports 5900 and 3283.

I am home now, but this afternoon, I was able to access all features from Caribou Coffee shop. I will try again tomorrow to confirm.

Greg