[wplug] Port Forwarding in Verizon Router

Mike Sussman mmsussman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 20:05:03 EST 2012

Greg,

I have been following this thread and I find it very much at odds with
my own experience.  I, too, have the MI4214WR, and FIOS.  Before this, I
had another Verizon-branded Actiontec router for my DSL setup.  They
both worked the same.

When the router gives an IP out (DHCP), it learns the name each device
on the local network has.  Then this name and its current IP address get
entered in the chart that comes up when you go to the "Port Forwarding"
page.  If the device goes away and then comes back onto the local
network, even if it gets the same IP address its port forwarding can
(not always, but sometimes) fail.  Hitting the "resolve now" button
doesn't resolve anything (I think), it just queries each of the devices
on the network for their names and updates their IP addresses.  I just
hit that "resolve now" button and it came back with the same IP address
it had before I hit the "resolve now" button.

By the way, I am forwarding port 22 (ssh).