[wplug] IPTABLES help

Zachary Uram netrek at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 17:52:48 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Ted Rodgers <ted.d.rodgers at gmail.com> wrote:

> The script for your VPC could be done a couple ways.
> Here's a method that should prevent you from shooting yourself in the
> foot, just replace <username> with your user's name:

Excellent.

> For your other system, I'm not clear what you are asking. Be specific
> and explain because "block all" would imply you may as well unplug the
> nic.

Ok, if there is outbound request (browsing a website for example) that
will go through, but inbound attempt to browse my IP on port 80 would
be blocked, ssh traffic would be allowed (on a non-standard port is
best right?) both inbound and outbound, DNS requests would be allowed
through. So outbound traffic good and allowed, but only certain
inbound traffic allowed. I thought there is way to allow all outbound
traffic and block all inbound traffic that did not first originate
from my machine's IP?

Thanks Ted.

Zach

--