[wplug] Redesigning my home network

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Wed Aug 15 11:32:06 EDT 2012

This is a good choice for what you're trying to do.  The other processor
you mentioned (the Athlon 64 X2) may or may not have worked - it's a
Socket AM2 processor (like the Sempron you have now), but is not on the
list of compatible processor upgrades for that motherboard.  The Phenom
X3 8550 is on the list, so should work (at least, as far as we can tell
from the info HP provides).

As Justin hinted in his message, this processor has a forth core that is
"locked".  If your motherboard/BIOS will let you unlock the locked core
(and assuming that it actually works - sometimes the cores that get
locked are actually defective....), you might be able to use it as well.

--Pat.