[wplug] [wplug-announce] Pre-announcement - WPLUG 11th Annual Open Source Picnic - Sunday, August 19th

Michael Loomis amsonia.ciliata at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 21:23:20 EDT 2012

Do you know when the picnic will happen? I've been searching around for a
time with no luck.

I flew to NC on Thursday. All my time on the computer up to now has been
reinstalling Linux on my mother's old Mac Mini, because the update to
Chakra apparently didn't create the modules required for it to work. My
approach to hard Linux problems is usually to reinstall--unless I have time
and it seems instructive, which was not the case this time. Linux has to
share the computer with the Mac OS, which I hate with such a passion that I
will only use it to download Linux Install CD's. My first choice was
Chakra, but it refused to install because "When using a GPT parition table
you need to have an unformatted partition with bios_grub flag."

Here's what happens when I fdisk -l:

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders, total 312581808 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00006199

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 409639 204819+ ee GPT
/dev/sda2 409640 155598887 77594624 af HFS / HFS+
/dev/sda3 * 155600896 304576511 74487808 83 Linux
/dev/sda4 304576512 312580095 4001792 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Should I have added a flag to the first sector? Is this all in preparation
to Windows 8?
Anyway, I then tried to install Fedora 17 with no luck, then I tried
SnowLinux which died near the end of installation. Finally I got Kubuntu
installed and it still dual boots into the Mac OS.

Michael