[wplug] Who benefits from SELinux?

Tom Limoncelli tal at whatexit.org
Tue Apr 10 19:59:48 EDT 2012

If you are deploying appliances that are supposed to do a fixed set of
functions (a firewall, a music player, a file server, etc) then you can use
SELinux to lock down the programs so they only do the system calls that you
know they are  supposed to do.   If they violate your pre-programmed policy
chances are something bad is happening. (buffer overflow, etc)

For general-purpose computing SELinux isn't as useful.  Then again, it
wasn't really designed for that.

Tom Limoncelli

Register now for PICC!  May 11-12, 2012
The conference for all  SysAdmins!
http://picconf.org
(The only place to take my "time management for sysadmins" class on the
east coast this year!)

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile. Autocorrect is my co-author.