[wplug] X window "always on bottom" ?

Gabriel L. Somlo gsomlo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 15:37:41 EDT 2012

> This: http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/wmx/
>   is your window manager?

Yeah... Does everything I want, and nothing I don't ;)

> What happens when you run it with no arguments?

xclock start as a regular X11 window, with a border, you can
click'n'drag it across the desktop, bring it to front, send it to
back, etc.

What I wanted was a way to start xclock (actually, xdaliclock, but
the principle is the same) in a specified location (using -geometry),
in a way that won't let it be clicked on, dragged, moved around, etc.
I wanted it to behave more like it was part of the wallpaper, not an
actual X window.

There used to be a program called 'xnodecor' which accomplished this.
It worked by setting the 'overrideRedirect' flag on a given window.
I recently discovered that instead of dealing with a separate xnodecor
binary, one can simply use -xrm "*overrideRedirect: True" as an
argument to x[dali]clock to the same effect, and was playing around
with that.

The reason why my clock was above the other windows and couldn't be
covered by any of them was rather silly: I was starting the clock
manually from an xterm, *after* the other windows had already been
started :) As such, it was "above" them on the Z axis. Having the
overrideRedirect flag set, I could no longer modify its relative
Z position w.r.t. other windows, which always kept ending up below it
on the desktop, no matter what I did to them.

Once I restarted my window manager, and started the clock (with
overrideRedirect set) *before* any other window, all windows are now
*above* it, which is what I was looking for in the first place :)

Thanks to all for helping me think about this...

--Gabriel