[wplug] Software Freedom Day (SFD) at the Pittsburgh Public Market (PPM)

Terence J. Golightly terencejgolightly at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 12:00:29 EDT 2011

Greetings to all,

We had an outstanding event for SFD at the PPM. we had over 40 visitors
to our table. We gave away with 45 dvds.  Check out the wiki link:

> http://www.wplug.org/wiki/Saturday_September_17th_2011_Software_Freedom_Day

Special thanks go out to:

John Lewis for his burning SFD dvds (OpenDisc, FreeCulture and
OpenDistro)  and providing his expert support to the curious.

Eli Flanagan for burning "Spotlight on Foss" dvds (Mac Foss) and
printing flyers. His use of clear and concise language in answering
questions from neophytes and experts alike was especially helpful.

Nic Schembri for burning SFD dvds (OpenDisc).

Joe Prostko for dropping by with some Haiku dvds and pitching in by
hanging out with us.

Jim Harris for bringing out his LCD monitor and laptop.  The Big Buck
Bunny animation went over great with kids and parents that walked by.
Got them to stop and talk.

Director at Large Jim Harris gets special recognition from the Vice
Chair for helping him to simplify his explanations of what FOSS is to
the uninitiated visitors to our booth. The Vice Chair is grateful but is
aware that this is a work in progress. :>

We had two vendors come to our table to discuss what Foss could do for
their business.  One was already an Ubuntu user, the other was working
out of her house.  Another vendor was a former software professional
turned florist/flower cutter who was familiar with Linux. We had a
couple of Mac users stop by, but overwhelmingly our visitors were people
unfamiliar with our world, the wonderful world of Free and Open Source
Software.

This was great success and build on this for next year.  PPM was a great
venue. It has great foot traffic with many potential new users not
familiar with Linux or Foss.

Best Wishes,

Terry Golightly
Vice Chair Your Western Pennsylvania Linux User's Group
terencejgolightly at gmail.com