[wplug] Laptop memory

Ted Rodgers ted.d.rodgers at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 04:07:44 EDT 2011

I don't have memory to donate, but I can offer an alternative to using
a sluggish mess.

I've been experimenting with quite a few different distros on older
systems with limited resources, typically P4 systems but as old as
PIII-based celerons.  Some of them have as little was 256 MB of memory
so a lot of distros will not even run the installer.  Linux Mint LXDE
has worked on the majority of them, but I recently found another
distro that also works well: Bodhi Linux.  Bodhi shares the ubuntu
backend repos, as does Minut, but by default uses the Enlightenment
desktop which can be rather flashy/shiny, but during install it lets
you pick a profile that essentially limits the amount of bling
enabled.   It can run in as little as 128 MB and by default includes
only a couple applications, so you don't get the heaviness of extra
services, etc. from the get-go.  I haven't use it extensively, but so
far it has looked good and their enlightenment build has seemed
useable, too.  Wireless support seemed good on it as well, even
running from the cd.