[wplug] Raspberry Pi bulk order.

Drew from Zhrodague drewzhrodague at zhrodague.net
Mon Oct 17 20:24:18 EDT 2011

On 10/17/11 6:32 PM, Martin James Gehrke wrote:
> 600MHz is definite not going to cut it for 1080p, they would need an onboard
> hardware decoder.
> They must have something to make such a claim.

	From the wiki at http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiBoard

SoC: Broadcom BCM2835 media processor system-on-chip featuring:
     * CPU core: ARM1176JZF-S ARM11 core clocked at 700MHz; ARM VFP.
     * GPU core: a Broadcom VideoCore GPU providing OpenGL ES 1.1,
OpenGL ES 2.0, hardware-accelerated OpenVG 1.1, Open EGL, OpenMAX and
1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode. There are 24 GFLOPS of general
purpose compute and a bunch of texture filtering and DMA infrastructure.
Eben worked on the architecture team for this and the Raspberry Pi team
are looking at how they can make some of the proprietary features
available to application programmers

	So I'd suggest that for the composite NTSC, it should be suitable as a
MythTV frontend. I didn't see any mention of other features of the
BCM2835, and what built-in codecs it may have. I can imagine that it
should be relatively easy to have MythTV transcode files into this
format if normal or default methods are too slow. Broadcom's website
denies all knowledge of this chip.

--

Drew from Zhrodague
Internet Swashbuckler