[wplug] The iproute2 suite are the current networking suite

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Oct 14 09:33:27 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 07:34:22PM -0400, John Lewis wrote:
> Did anyone else know about the change to the networking suit? If you
> did know when did you know about it?

I actually started really looking into the new tools when I was
learning how to use the static routes configuration on RHEL5 several
years ago.  It uses the syntax of 'ip route' command (well, the
network scripts actually run 'ip route'), which differs from the
'route' command, so I had to read up on the man page.  Since then,
I've been integrating the new tools into our infrastructure.  For
example, I've been porting a particular infrastructure scripts from
parsing the output of 'ifconfig' to the output of 'ip addr'.

I'll admit, I still tend to run 'ifconfig', 'arp', 'netstat',
etc. when I'm debugging a host's networking problems, but I also
prefer using 'ip' when manually setting up an interface or a route.