[wplug] The iproute2 suite are the current networking suite

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Oct 14 09:06:09 EDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 07:48:38AM -0400, John Lewis wrote:

> But, what I don't understand is why Ubuntu, Debian, My college
> professors at PTI and the Unix Academy didn't tell me to use the new
> network configuration commands and only Centos did.

Red Hat and Fedora (and subsequently CentOS and other RHEL-derived
distros) have a patch in the source package for net-tools that add the
'obsolete' warning to the man pages of tools like ifconfig.  It's not
in the original source.  (Git repo here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/net-tools/develop)

net-tools is no longer maintained. (last version is 1.60 from 2001)
The new iproute2 tools support everything the net-tools commands
could, plus new features.

The net-tools commands come from BSD and are probably familiar to
long-time unix users, but many distros are switching to the new,
supported tools.  Perhaps you should ask your instructors why they
haven't updated?  Maybe they're all BSD users?