[wplug] The iproute2 suite are the current networking suite

John Lewis oflameo2 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 19:34:22 EDT 2011

I have just found out today while I was studying Centos 6 server
installations in AQEMU. When I ran man ifconfig the output included
these lines.

NOTE
           This program is obsolete! For a replacement check ip addr
and ip link.
           For statics use ip -s link.

I also found out that the whole suite called "net-tools" which include
ifconfig, route, arp, vconfig, iptunnel, ipmaddr, and netstat.
According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iproute2 the new
commands are ip addr, ip link, ip route, ip neigh, ip link, ip tunnel,
ip maddr and ss.

Did anyone else know about the change to the networking suit? If you
did know when did you know about it?