[wplug] Android Phones

Brian Roberts blroberts at gmail.com
Wed May 25 10:44:01 EDT 2011

Hey All,

My Sprint contract will be ending soon and I will be putting my Palm Pre out
to pasture.   It should be a fine mp3 player / camera / toy for the kids.

Which brings up the question of my next phone.    I want to go android, but
want to make sure I don't purchase something that is going to be
the equivalent of a bic lighter of phones. (*cough iphone*).  Replace able
battery is a must, and the ability to hack it would be nice.   What Android
handset makers are best for rooting.   I was thinking HTC, but the recent
news<http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/05/25/htc-evaluating-locked-bootloader-policy/>
has
me nervous that they are going to lock the boot loader.

I am not so concerned about features as I am about device longevity.   My
512mb mp3 player that runs on a AAA battery is now on its 4th owner in my
family.   :)

Any thoughts?

Brian