[wplug] Suse guru?

Keith Wood kw6 at xmission.com
Wed May 11 18:27:53 EDT 2011

On 05/11/2011 09:00 AM, wplug-request at wplug.org wrote:

> From: Ted Rodgers<ted.d.rodgers at gmail.com >

> I looked real quick and there's  two quick question:
>
> 1) What provider are you using the modem with, I'm seeing reports of
> Verizon and ATT users both (at least).

I'm with Milennicom, but not sure whose network they are riding on.

> 2) Which desktop or network device manager do you prefer or use?

I'm on KDE, but not married to it.  The big issue is being able to do
what I need to do.

> The support for the device depends on the usb-acm driver.  Suse 11.4
> shouldn't have a problem detecting the deivce at all since the module
> isn't an obscure rarely-included one and neither are the module's
> deps.  The driver provides a /dev/ttyUSB0 device node that you your
> favorite network configuration tool should be able to use as a modem.
> The other fields needed for device to connect depend on your carrier.

If I got the live DVD, would it find the airmodem during a boot-from-DVD?

As in, if it does or doesn't, would that tell me anything?  Or am I
going to have to load the system and tinker with it?

> From: "Robert E. Coutch"<robert.coutch at verizon.net>

> The only thing about SuSE has been USB permissions lately.
> Used to be anything you plugged in and it detected was good to go.
> Now, some USB devices get the permission of the current users while others
> have to be accessed by root.
>
> I haven't taken the time yet to work this out yet but wanted to warn you in
> case you run into this this problem.
>

> I've been running SuSE since version 8.something and currently use 11.0, 11.2
> and 11.4 on three different machines.

Do you consider it worth the money to buy the boxed version, or should I
just borrow someone's disks?

Thanks,
Keith