[wplug] Need a Suse guru

Ted Rodgers ted.d.rodgers at gmail.com
Tue May 10 21:55:18 EDT 2011

I looked real quick and there's  two quick question:

1) What provider are you using the modem with, I'm seeing reports of
Verizon and ATT users both (at least).
2) Which desktop or network device manager do you prefer or use?

I ask about the device manager because I'm seeing (what I see) as
mixed support for the device across distros and also across some
network device managers.  For example, support under Ubuntu Hardy
varied ranging from "works out of the box" under gnome-ppp to "I need
to edit a file" if using NetworkManager
(/usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-modem.fdi) in order
to add some usb ids.  (Why isn't update-usbids not picking that up on
a common device?)

The support for the device depends on the usb-acm driver.  Suse 11.4
shouldn't have a problem detecting the deivce at all since the module
isn't an obscure rarely-included one and neither are the module's
deps.  The driver provides a /dev/ttyUSB0 device node that you your
favorite network configuration tool should be able to use as a modem.
The other fields needed for device to connect depend on your carrier.