[wplug] DVD Recovery?

C L wplug at cmlang.com
Sat Mar 26 17:55:49 EDT 2011

Quoting gpitman at gmail.com:

> Put the disk in and then type "dmesg" in a terminal window. That
> should  give you some hint as to where the raw device is (
> /dev/cdrom or /dev/cd0  or something)

Only two lines from the dmesg output seem related to the dvd drive:
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
scsi 1:0:1:0: CD-ROM            PIONEER  DVD-RW  DVR-107D 1.21 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5

Here is my output from scanbus:
scsibus1:
         1,0,0   100) *
         1,1,0   101) 'PIONEER ' 'DVD-RW  DVR-107D' '1.21' Removable CD-ROM
         1,2,0   102) *
         1,3,0   103) *
         1,4,0   104) *
         1,5,0   105) *
         1,6,0   106) *
         1,7,0   107) *

Which by what I researched online seems to indicate that 1,1,0 means
sr1.  So I tried both sr0 and sr1...

> Then see if you can look at the raw device by typing "head -50
> /dev/cdrom".  If you get a bunch of unreadable garbage, there is
> probably info there.

return from the head command...
head: cannot open `/dev/sr0' for reading: No medium found

So I take out the dvd and put in a Fedora 13 Installation DVD.  Suse
OS automagically mounts and displays the contents of this dvd.  I run
the head command with this dvd in the drive and a bunch of characters
are returned. (As if looking at a binary file in a text editor, as you
say 'unreadable garbage'.

No unreadable garbage on the photos dvd.

-Craig