[wplug] Japan Situation

Greg Simkins gregsimkins at me.com
Thu Mar 17 07:53:02 EDT 2011

Dear Fellow WPLUG members,

I just received an inquiry about my safety from Beth Lynn and thought perhaps others of you may be aware that I have been working in Japan and may be curious about my safety.  I thank you for your concern.

I have been working in Kyushu, the most Southwest of the Japanese islands.  It is well sheltered from the tsunami.  At the time of the quake, I was not in Japan, but all my contacts there assure me that there is no problem in Kyushu.  There was absolutely no flooding there.  I am now in Pittsburgh and am scheduled to return to Kyushu (via Tokyo Narita airport) on March 29.

I am hearing increasing reports of panic over the potential affects of nuclear contamination.  From everything that I have been able to determine, the releases of radiation have been not much more severe than our own "disaster" here at three mile island and the situation is increasingly coming under control.  This is not to downplay the seriousness of the situation, however I would rather face a slight increase in radiation than to be swept away in an uncontrolled flood.

I found these web sites that appear to give credible news on the nuclear situation:

http://nei.cachefly.net/newsandevents/information-on-the-japanese-earthquake-and-reactors-in-that-region/

http://mitnse.com/

I have been forwarding newsletters from missionary friends in Japan.  If you would like to be added to my distribution, please advise.

Greg Simkins