[wplug] FiOS questions

Duncan Hutty dhutty at ece.cmu.edu
Mon Jun 20 10:48:19 EDT 2011

On 06/17/2011 11:02 AM, Martin James Gehrke wrote:
> I have FIOS for about year before I moved out of the area.
> I loved it. Right now I have Armstrong and it just doesn't compare.
> I paid the extra for the 25/25 symmetrical and I really got 25/25, whereas
> now I have 15/5 and I am lucky to get 10/3.
>
> With FIOS you are required to use their router which is an Actiontec
> MI424WR. If you want to do DD-WRT this can be a pain.

There are various different versions of the MI424WR (A-E at least). Some
of which are straightforward to change to an opensource router that you
can control, some much less so.

I just bought something that I know will work easily, buffalo
wzr-hp-g300nh which has 32Mb flash and 64Mb ram. from the openwrt wiki:
"easy to flash and hard to brick. Quite possibly the best
gigabit-capable router that openwrt runs on at this point".

Lots of help in the wiki and elsewhere for those who are unfamiliar,
openwrt on this device is able to run various network services for my
network and happily routes mail, voip and all sorts of other stuff to
other machines in my network.

Once I had a tech move my FIOS from coax to ethernet, I haven't had a
problem, before there were problems every few months or so, but as noted
previously you have to use coax if you want TV service (or phone, I think).

The  only other point that I'm aware of is that they block port 25, so
my mailserver relays to my colo through port 587.
--
Duncan Hutty
Senior System Administrator, ECE

Please use informative subject lines