[wplug] FiOS questions

Zachary Uram netrek at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 11:28:11 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Patrick Weber <paw160 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Verizon installs a fiber box somewhere on the outside of your house or in
> your basement/garage.  Mine is in my garage.  This converts the fiber to
> coax.  You will also receive a cable modem/wireless router to connect your

I must be dense cause I still don't understand how you go from coax to
router? I've never seen any router with a coax input. I would only be
getting the Internet service (so no TV or phone) so why do I need a
coax cable?

> You will have a dynamic IP, but I use www.dyndns.com to give me a static
> hostname (it's free), and the provided router can be set up to automatically
> update this service.  It works very nice.

Does Verizon do reverse DNS? I have this right now.

> Overall I've been pleased.  They have a FIOS support center in Pittsburgh
> and I know a few of the techs there, they are reasonably competent and
> helpful.  Installation takes a few hours since they have to mount the box on
> your house.   If you are renting this could be a problem... call your
> landlord first.

Oops forgot about that. Yes we rent, I hope he won't have a problem.

> My biggest gripe with Verizon is that every time your contract runs out they
> automatically bump you to whatever the existing rate is for the service you
> have, so you have to be pro-active about making sure you always have the
> best deal/bundle offer available.

Heh.

> Hope that was helpful.

It was, thanks!