[wplug] FiOS questions

Zachary Uram netrek at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 11:23:00 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Friarzen <friarzen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been using Fios for about a year now, using a similar intro deal.  So far, it has been a very solid service.  The only > problem I've had was a period of high packet loss for about 2 weeks which has since been corrected.  They do not seem > to filter any server ports, but I haven't tried port 25 (email) which is usually the first victim.  The installation was very
> quick, but somewhat odd.  It involves fiber to the house,and then a coax cable to a semi-standard cable modem/4port
>/wireless switch (which is likely running linux of some flavor) which serves DHCP and configures on port 80 (may require
>windows to initially configure).  My specific deal is now a year old and likely differs in cost and terms, so I'll skip trying to
>comment on that.  Read your contract carefully.
>
> Tl;dr:  darn good internet, overall

Thanks for the feedback. What is their customer support like?
Speakeasy's customer support is really good (they actually have Linux
guys on staff and some have a very high networking clue) and their
phone answers 24x7 and you get an actual native English speaker in
Seattle. Does Verizon outsource FiOS tech support? Is there a web
based ticket system? Do you get an uptime TLA for residential service?

--
Zach
http://www.fidei.org