[wplug] FiOS questions

Friarzen friarzen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 11:11:53 EDT 2011

I have been using Fios for about a year now, using a similar intro deal.  So far, it has been a very solid service.  The only problem I've had was a period of high packet loss for about 2 weeks which has since been corrected.  They do not seem to filter any server ports, but I haven't tried port 25 (email) which is usually the first victim.  The installation was very quick, but somewhat odd.  It involves fiber to the house,and then a coax cable to a semi-standard cable modem/4port/wireless switch (which is likely running linux of some flavor) which serves DHCP and configures on port 80 (may require windows to initially configure).  My specific deal is now a year old and likely differs in cost and terms, so I'll skip trying to comment on that.  Read your contract carefully.

Tl;dr:  darn good internet, overall

--friarzen