[wplug] FiOS questions

Martin James Gehrke martin at teamgehrke.com
Fri Jun 17 11:02:09 EDT 2011

I have FIOS for about year before I moved out of the area.
I loved it. Right now I have Armstrong and it just doesn't compare.
I paid the extra for the 25/25 symmetrical and I really got 25/25, whereas
now I have 15/5 and I am lucky to get 10/3.

With FIOS you are required to use their router which is an Actiontec
MI424WR. If you want to do DD-WRT this can be a pain.
If you don't care then the router is actually half decent. Just beware if
you want to DD-WRT or any open source routing firmware and you want anything
faster than the 15/5 you need a pretty beefy router. My Linksys couldn't
keep up with the 25/25, which is a Broadcom at 200MHz. YOu can put DD-WRT on
the Actiontec if it is the right revision, but as Drew stated you lose the
COAX port which isn't a big deal if you don't want the TV bundle.

The taxes and fees were not more than $10 if I remember.

You get a dynamic IP, which is standard unless you bay for business class
service in which case they will give you a static IP.
The FIOS router comes with WIFI, but you can disable if you want. It also
has physical ports, so you can plug in a switch and multiple downstream
computers.

The guy who installed my FIOS (with TV) was there no more than 30 minutes.
But I already had fiber pulled to my house. If the previous tenent or owner
didn't have FIOS, they might need to pull the fiber from the street which
would take longer.

You can can a webserver, any server. I am sure they don't officially allow
bittorrent, but they don't filter it.