[wplug] Wplug PXE server

Terence J. Golightly vze27hs6 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 16 22:52:44 EDT 2011

Hi Martin,

On 06/16/2011 02:43 PM, Martin James Gehrke wrote:
> Cobbler looks cool.
>
> Sticking with the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) method. I think the
> easiest setup that would work regardless of location would be to have
> the PXE/Cobbler/whatever server as well as a dd-wrt flashed router.

I got one of those! Its been awhile since I have used it. a WRT54GL
flashed with an old version of dd-wrt.  I havn't kept up with it, but I
read somewhere the original author was less than forthcoming with his
source code.  Causing some consternation amongst the developer and user
communities.

> You would be double NAT'ed to get to the internet, but you could
> minimize internet access by mirrorings repos as you mentioned.

If I can't score more disk space: sata card and drives.  I'm almost
certain that this box has no sata support.

Or do the install on your net and then plug into the public net to do a
> post-install update.

Yeah this is something to seriously consider.  Save on disk space.  Of
course the library might not appreciate the extra bandwidth we'd be
using.  But we are only there once may-be twice a year. One day might
not cause a problem.

Thanks,

Terry

<snip>