[wplug] Emulators

Dave Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 10:34:26 EDT 2011

I sense a double standard!

<admin-mode>
John Lewis has been on the mailing list for months. He has every right to
post here. And the question he asked, whatever its intention, is on-topic.
</admin-mode>

What precisely do you mean by emulators, John? Are you talking OS
emulators? Video game emulators?

A long time ago, I fiddled around with MAME and Stella, to relive the
thrills of the arcade and the Atari 2600 respectively. But I haven't touched
either for a long time. I know a little about the legalities of using ROMs
for these emulators, even those that can be found online. I can't say that
that wasn't a factor in my no longer using those emulators, since copyright
law is the foundation of all free and open-source software licenses. But
mostly, I didn't have much time for gaming, even for the simple goodness of
old-school video games.

I experimented with a Commodore 64 emulator some time ago. Didn't do much
with it, since whatever programs I wrote on them are now long lost on the
5-1/4" floppies that they were saved on. And yes, they really wuz floppy!

-- Dave Ostroske