[wplug] Bylaws amendment - notice and ballot (fwd)

Beth Lynn Eicher bethlynneicher at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 18:36:26 EST 2011

Dear WPLUG members and friends,

As chair of Western PA Linux User Group, I introduced a controversial idea:

WPLUG needs to have less General User meetings.

In other words, from the secretary...

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 11:39 PM, Vance Kochenderfer <vkochend at nyx.net> wrote:

> A couple adjustments to the Bylaws are necessary to fully
> implement the new schedule put forward by the Board.  This would
> see a reduction in the number of General User Meetings and the
> addition of a new "table topics" format on weeknights.
> <http://www.wplug.org/wiki/WPLUGBoard/Meeting-20101207#Minutes>

So, why in the world do I want less meetings?

Our traditional Saturday meeting is a GUM or General User Meetings.
GUMs discuss business and have a topic. While business is important to
running the organization, the work is better handled in committees
with membership involvement on a quarterly basis. If there is
something of critical importance, a "special meeting" can be called
with 4 days notice.

The timing of the Saturday meeting does not work for everybody.
By mixing up topics, venues, and times we can accommodate a broader
audience. We can do better outreach by visiting Free Software friendly
businesses and collaborating with other tech organizations by devoting
our time celebrating what Western PA has to offer.

With less GUMs, WPLUG can focus on a variety of functions which can
serve the community better.

I look forward to continuing this discussion with you on this list and
at the next GUM on Saturday January 8 at 1:30PM in the Wilkins School
auditorium.

Thanks,

Beth Lynn Eicher