[wplug] Ext3 filesystem errors with RAID 1 USB drives

Drew from Zhrodague drewzhrodague at zhrodague.net
Sun Feb 27 11:01:00 EST 2011

On 2/27/11 10:20 AM, nschembr at gmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 27, 2011 9:57am, Max Putas <maxblaze at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > I've been using BackupPC with with two 1TB USB HDs that are configured
>  >
>  > with software RAID 1 for a couple years now. The array works great for
>  >
>  > a while after a full fsck, then I start to get filesystem errors (some
>  >
>  > examples are below) after a few full backups. I've had this system on
>  >
>  > various PCs and Linux distros, so I don't think it's hardware or
>  >
>  > kernel dependent--unless the drives themselves are the culprits. I
>  >
>  > recently upgraded to Debian 6.0 (Squeeze) and thought about upgrading
>  >
>  > to Ext4. Do you think it would cut down on the corruption? My best
>  >
>  > guess so far is that there are bad writes when the USB interfaces
>  >
>  > hiccup every once in a while:
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > [383415.112101] usb 1-4: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd
>  >
>  > and address 3

> You might want to clean the usb connectors. I'm not sure ext4 would
> help. Clean power and good cables would be my first step.

	Seconded, noisy cables or power supply issue.

	I notice sparks when I plug in my USB drives, prolly due to some
voltage difference with the bad power supply. Always have to resync my
RAID-1 manually after booting.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		http://www.pghwireless.net