[wplug] Two-factor authentication systems on Linux

Pat Barron pat at tiderium.com
Thu Feb 3 10:48:20 EST 2011

On 02/02/2011 6:33 PM, James O'Kane wrote:

>> I know about YubiKey, but I'm less interested in that since it requires
>> that you plug a physical piece of hardware into the machine you're
>> working with.
> You plug it into the computer you're typing on and it acts like a
> keyboard. When you push the button, it places the OTP appers in
> whatever has the input focus. If that happens to be an ssh session
> then the OTP will go to the remote computer. There's no need to plug
> it into the remove computer. It's nice since you don't need to
> transcribe the OTP from another device.

Right - I kind of misspoke (mistyped?) originally, so it probably looked
like I was saying the key had to be plugged into the machine that you'd
be logging in to (rather than the one you're typing on).

I do like the YubiKey (I really need to order a couple of these to mess
around with), but am more looking at token-based solutions because I
might not necessarily have access to plug anything into some of the
machines I'd be working from (or they might not be PC-type machines with
USB ports to plug a keyboard-like thing into).

Thanks!
--Pat.