[wplug] Two-factor authentication systems on Linux

Grant Olson kgo at grant-olson.net
Wed Feb 2 16:51:31 EST 2011

On 02/02/2011 09:19 AM, Pat Barron wrote:
> Can anyone speak to the topic of what two-factor authentication systems
> might be available on any current Linux distributions?  In particular,
> I've been looking lately for ways to get S/Key working on Debian and
> Fedora, and I can't seem to find any packages that would enable them.
> Also interested in other two-factor authentication schemes as well (my
> personal favorite is the good old Securenet Key, but as far as I know,
> those aren't manufactured anymore...).

I've been using an OpenPGP card for ssh authentication on all my systems
for a while now.  I just recently setup poldi on my home machines so
that I need the card to login or deactivate the screensaver as well.

I was originally using a crypto-stick, which is thumb-drive sized and
fits on a keychain, but switched over to a card/reader setup.  I'm
probably going to go extra-crazy and get a reader with a pinpad, so
no-one can keylog the password, even though I have no real reason for
such security.

--
-Grant

"Look around! Can you construct some sort of rudimentary lathe?"