[wplug] Amarok problems

Ted Rodgers ted.d.rodgers at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 09:21:57 EST 2011

Taking a look at my setup, libmad should give you mp3 support --and
should be what vlc is using to play them-- but the *buntu folks may
package libmad bindings to amarok separetely, and they may not be
called "plugins" either.   The easiest way to track it down may be to
search for amarok, vlc, and phonon with either synaptic or aptitiude
and just install whatever plugins/bindings look appropriate based on
descriptions.  The mp3 one for amarok should almost certainly have mad
in the name.  As for the wma one, I looked briefly to see what it
should pull and didn't find anything.  If it's not using a native
codec, it could be using somehting they package with win32codecs, but
last I knew that package was only needed to play some odd realplayer
formats.

The fact it works on FreeBSD only tells me they pull more
plugins/bindings by default when you install Amarok, manage their dep
graph differently, or simply don't break the package up into as many
small pieces.  KDE likes to use vlc as the backend for it's sound
system (phonon) now, so having vlc capable of playing the codecs you
are wanting to play means it's only an intermediate piece missing.

tdr