[wplug] Amarok problems

Janos Dohanics web at 3dresearch.com
Sat Dec 10 19:27:59 EST 2011

I don't seem to be able to make Amarok 2.4.3 play .mp3 or .wma files on
a newly installed Kubuntu 11.10 laptop.

When I try to play a .wma file, Amarok gives me the message that I need
the ASF plugin. It then offers to search for it, but the search hangs.
I searched Muon for anything appearing to be relevant - but no
resolution.

When I try to play a .mp3 file, Amarok gives me the message that I need
the MP# plugin. It then offered to search for it, found the required
packages and installed them. But .mp3 files still don't play and I get
the same error message.

In fact, so far I managed Amarok to play only the enclosed file "Art of
Nations".

VLC plays both .mp3 and .wma files just fine.

I should note that on my FreeBSD 8.2/KDE 4.7.2 machine Amarok 2.4.3
plays both .mp3 and .wma files.

Would you please advise?

--
Janos Dohanics