[wplug] Understanding Load

Martin James Gehrke martin at teamgehrke.com
Wed Dec 7 16:25:39 EST 2011

Load is a very deceptive number. It is not uncommon for a file server to
have a load equal to the number of nfsd threads.

Gary P is also right that load can be heavily influenced by your processes
in disk wait.

The numerical number of load is used to communicate the CPU queue length,
the number of processes queued up for CPU time.

Marty

System and Network Administrators of Pittsburgh <http://snapgh.com>