[wplug] Cloned disk question

Rob Lines rlinesseagate at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 13:45:31 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Patrick Weber <paw160 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a question regarding cloning a linux installation.
>
> I managed to clone my disk and get it booting in the new system, however I
> noticed that the ethernet port names are all different.
>
> The original system had eth0 - eth4.  The new system has eth5-eth9.  I'm
> sure that some configuration file must be keeping track of the hardware
> address and the device name.
>
> How do I 'reset' this labeling?

Give a look in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

There shoudl be an ifcfg-ethX for each of the interfaces.  See if they
have MAC addesses listed in them and after killing the ones from the
old hardware you can rename the files to the order you want them in.

> Also, does anyone know of other issues like this that I am bound to run
> into?

This one tends to be the biggest issues when we "swap" drives between
systems.  As you want the name information to stay the same you are
good there.

Rob Lines