[wplug] Audio processing party - Sat., Sep. 25

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Sun Sep 19 14:06:47 EDT 2010

Hi folks-

I've been helping out the Ohio LinuxFest <http://ohiolinux.org/>
by making audio recordings of all the presentations.  Well, now I
have to take 55 hours of raw audio and transform them into
separate labeled and encoded files for upload.

I'm hoping some of you are available next Saturday afternoon to
join me, or, if you can't come, perhaps donate the use of hardware
for a day.

There are two basic tasks to be done.  The first (which I will call
Group A) is the more labor intensive.  This involves loading the
raw sound files in Audacity, cutting out each individual speech,
applying audio filters to clean up the sound, and mixing together
the channels into a single mono WAV file.  Group B will take those
WAV files and encode them in FLAC and Speex formats.

What will be required to help?

Group A:
Moderate CPU power (1.5+ GHz should work, though more is better)
Plenty of RAM (4 GB desired, 2 GB is a minimum)
Operating System doesn't matter
Audacity
SSH/SCP for tranferring files

Group B:
Higher CPU power (1.8+ GHz with multiple cores)
Moderate RAM (1 GB should be fine)
POSIX operating system (Linux preferred, as that's all I've tested)
X Window System and xterm
sox (should be in most distribution repositories)
flac (repo or http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html)
speexenc
  (http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/speex/speex-1.2rc1.tar.gz)

If you are able to donate your time or the use of a machine,
please e-mail me off list and we'll work out the details.  Thanks!