[wplug] A question about proxy servers

Terence J. Golightly vze27hs6 at verizon.net
Mon Sep 6 13:53:15 EDT 2010

Hey gang,

I recently tried to get online using my new gsky wifi adapter at school
over at PTI.  I got down to the IT department to register the device
(they need the MAC).  After getting that settled the it personnel and I
attempt to get online.  Well, we got an ip address easily enough, but
cannot configure for the proxy server to where I can run apt-get or get
a web page.

We tried configuring http_proxy, but were not able to get through.  The
Sys Admin was there (He also teaches my night class) and he was not
aware of anything that would not permit access.

I'm using Lubuntu (light)Ubuntu it uses the LXDE and it works great on
my gateway Solo 3500 with a 500Mhz PIII  512MB or Ram and 8MB of share
video.

I initially had only Chrome and was trying to configure the proxy
variables for that and had no success.  How can I check to see what a
proxy server is or is not proxying?  What other variables besides maybe
https_proxy that can be configured?  I tried have Wicd run a small
script setting up the proxy variables before connection and unsetting
them aftwards, but wicd would appear to just lockup.

Lastly, I know that google is my friend but I wanted to shake the tree
here and see if anybody had any suggestions regarding the variables and
running scripts in Wicd.  I seem to remember something to do with shell
environment variables running only in the environment in which they were
set.  I tried setting variables in an xterm box and they were accessible
using the $set | grep <variable>, but when I tried to run them as a
script, I run the same command in a different or the same terminal they
are not set.  If you got this far thanks.  Look forward to your responses.

Terry